Hemorrhoids, also called piles, are swollen veins around the anus and lower rectum. They may be inside the anus (internal hemorrhoids) or outside the anus (external hemorrhoids).
Often hemorrhoids do not cause problems. But if hemorrhoids bleed a lot, cause pain, or become swollen, hard, and painful, surgery can remove them.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
The symptoms of hemorrhoids depend on the type of hemorrhoid.
- Bleeding during bowel movements that is painless. This may show up as small amounts of bright red blood on the toilet seat or in the toilet bowl.
- The hemorrhoid is protruding through the anal opening resulting in pain and irritation.
- Itching, irritation and/or swelling around your anus
- Pain or discomfort
- Severe pain
- Swelling and inflammation
- A hard lump near your anus
- Beatrice P.
- Leslie Ann I.
"We want to thank Dr. Xu for taking time out of your busy schedule to fit in our dad's surgery and doing it well. He is doing much better and we have you to thank for that. Thank you!"
- The Porja Family
- Laurie G.